It’s O.K. to support someone (such as Obama, or other public figures) and still call them out on something that is wrong. Do I agree with a lot of Obama’s social and economic policies? Yes. Do I agree with Drone attacks, the stuff going down in Guantanamo Bay, and the ever-pressing matters in Palestine? No. No I don’t. Just… just a PSA for the person who messaged me.
I will NEVER agree with Drone attacks, etc… But I also know that I live in the United States and who becomes president effects my day to day life, in the long run. ONLY taking into account foreign policy is frankly stupid, at least to me. I can’t pretend I don’t live here, pay taxes, go to school, etc…
At least that’s how I see it
A MESSAGE FROM THE QUEEN
To the citizens of the United States of America from Her Sovereign Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
In light of your failure in recent years to nominate competent candidates for President of the USA and thus to govern yourselves, we hereby give notice of the revocation of your independence, effective immediately. (You should look up ‘revocation’ in the Oxford English Dictionary.)
Her Sovereign Majesty Queen Elizabeth II will resume monarchical duties over all states, commonwealths, and territories (except North Dakota, which she does not fancy).
Your new Prime Minister, David Cameron, will appoint a Governor for America without the need for further elections.
Congress and the Senate will be disbanded. A questionnaire may be circulated next year to determine whether any of you noticed.
To aid in the transition to a British Crown dependency, the following rules are introduced with immediate effect:
1. The letter ‘U’ will be reinstated in words such as ‘colour,’ ‘favour,’ ‘labour’ and ‘neighbour.’ Likewise, you will learn to spell ‘doughnut’ without skipping half the letters, and the suffix ‘-ize’ will be replaced by the suffix ‘-ise.’ Generally, you will be expected to raise your vocabulary to acceptable levels. (look up ‘vocabulary’).
2. Using the same twenty-seven words interspersed with filler noises such as ”like’ and ‘you know’ is an unacceptable and inefficient form of communication. There is no such thing as U.S. English. We will let Microsoft know on your behalf. The Microsoft spell-checker will be adjusted to take into account the reinstated letter ‘u” and the elimination of ‘-ize.’
3. July 4th will no longer be celebrated as a holiday.
4. You will learn to resolve personal issues without using guns, lawyers, or therapists. The fact that you need so many lawyers and therapists shows that you’re not quite ready to be independent. Guns should only be used for shooting grouse. If you can’t sort things out without suing someone or speaking to a therapist, then you’re not ready to shoot grouse.
5. Therefore, you will no longer be allowed to own or carry anything more dangerous than a vegetable peeler. Although a permit will be required if you wish to carry a vegetable peeler in public.
6. All intersections will be replaced with roundabouts, and you will start driving on the left side with immediate effect. At the same time, you will go metric with immediate effect and without the benefit of conversion tables. Both roundabouts and metrication will help you understand the British sense of humour.
7. The former USA will adopt UK prices on petrol (which you have been calling gasoline) of roughly $10/US gallon. Get used to it.
8. You will learn to make real chips. Those things you call French fries are not real chips, and those things you insist on calling potato chips are properly called crisps. Real chips are thick cut, fried in animal fat, and dressed not with catsup but with vinegar.
9. The cold, tasteless stuff you insist on calling beer is not actually beer at all. Henceforth, only proper British Bitter will be referred to as beer, and European brews of known and accepted provenance will be referred to as Lager. South African beer is also acceptable, as they are pound for pound the greatest sporting nation on earth and it can only be due to the beer. They are also part of the British Commonwealth - see what it did for them. American brands will be referred to as Near-Frozen Gnat’s Urine, so that all can be sold without risk of further confusion.
10. Hollywood will be required occasionally to cast English actors as good guys. Hollywood will also be required to cast English actors to play English characters. Watching Andie Macdowell attempt English dialect in Four Weddings and a Funeral was an experience akin to having one’s ears removed with a cheese grater.
11. You will cease playing American football. There is only one kind of proper football; you call it soccer. Those of you brave enough will, in time, be allowed to play rugby (which has some similarities to American football, but does not involve stopping for a rest every twenty seconds or wearing full kevlar body armour like a bunch of nancies).
12. Further, you will stop playing baseball. It is not reasonable to host an event called the World Series for a game which is not played outside of America. Since only 2.1% of you are aware there is a world beyond your borders, your error is understandable. You will learn cricket, and we will let you face the South Africans first to take the sting out of their deliveries.
13.. You must tell us who killed JFK. It’s been driving us mad.
14. An internal revenue agent (i.e. tax collector) from Her Majesty’s Government will be with you shortly to ensure the acquisition of all monies due (backdated to 1776).
15. Daily Tea Time begins promptly at 4 p.m. with proper cups, with saucers, and never mugs, with high quality biscuits (cookies) and cakes; plus strawberries (with cream) when in season.
God Save the Queen!
PS: Only share this with friends who have a good sense of humour (NOT humor)!
oh my god this is perfect, OP i love you
I’ll take your tea time, but you’re not taking away my fireworks or making me pay $10 a gallon for gas!
DOES THAT MEAN WE CAN FINALLY GET BBC PROGRAMMING
It could be worse. Mitt Romney could be a furby.
Couldn’t have said it better myself.
plot twist: mitt romney actually think he can become President.
u think this is a fuckin joke
Just because you’re angry that the healthcare bill went throughthe supreme court does not mean that you cancall people the n word.
And omg that bigoted asshole who went ‘no it doesn’t count he doesn’t hate poc only gates obama’ you’re wrong like a billion times over. Stick to the goddamn bill and stop being a fucking bigot
As a general disclaimer: this is a post about feminism, specifically my views about feminism and how I choose to interpret feminism as it applies to my everyday life/decisions/what have you. This is not the /right way/ to apply feminism or the /wrong way/. it is simply my way. Over the course of my tumblr I have reblogged many things, somethings I still agree with somethings my opinion has changed on. However, I will not go back and delete them 1) time and effort 2) they’re a part of my growing process and deleting that progress is like pretending that losers don’t exist. Alright, le-stuff under the cut.
like, ok, hey people of tumblr, does anyone else on the internet realise that just because you feel like your problem is “bigger” than someone elses problem, that does not mean that it cancels out that other persons problem? Yes?
Like, if a person feels like life is dragging them down because they have essays and you are like UBER depressed (for example), it’s literally wrong to say “oh only two essays? you don’t know sadness/anger/frustration”, because you being “sadder” does not cancel out their own frustrations.
If you think that sucks, here’s where to say so.
But… but why? Fucking /why/? Why is this even something to vote on? Why is this even an issue? I thought we were passed this. I thought this was 2012, I thought women got the right to vote in 1920 in the United States with the passing of the 19th Amendment? I thought women were people who worked hard and supported families and, you know, actually worked? So wait, I don’t understand, why is the issue of equal pay an issue?
GOP this is ridiculous. This is absolutely disgusting and just shows the continued attack on everyone in the United States that is essentially not Rich, White or Male and straight.
I am so outraged right now, I can’t even say words outloud. It just feels so useless to say anything to anyone because despite my beliefs that a woman’s body belongs to herself not the goverment, despite my beliefs that women are humans, just like homosexuals and everyone else in the world, it doesn’t matter because the GOP can’t get their heads straight.
"I became a conservative by being around liberals and I became a libertarian by being around conservatives. You realize that there’s something distinctly in common between the two groups, the left and the right; the worst part of each of them is the moralizing. On the left, you have people who want to dictate your behavior under the guise of tolerance. Unless you disagree with them. Then the tolerance goes out the window. Which kind of negates the whole idea of tolerance. That’s the politically correct moralizing. Then when you become a conservative, the other kind of moralizing comes from religion. But if you remove both of those from the equation, what you’re left with is libertarianism."
man this kind of person who’s like “bloo a bloo those meanies told me I couldn’t be an asshole!”
adopting this strangely literal view of tolerance as “don’t judge anyone! no matter what they’re doing!”
as though like allowing interracial marriage is some kind of evil that we’re permitting rather than something that is genuinely fine
and so they’re like “you allow them to get away with this evil of mixing races, while I’m not allowed to get away with the evil of making huge billboards demonising them”
I don’t know his specific experience with this but his language (eg ‘the guise of tolerance’) just reeks of someone who was called out on shitty behaviour
“eeuguhgh I made a post that was an INNOCENT gay joke and people called me a homophobe eugheuehg what happened to tolerance hwuaahhh”
ALSO conservatism is correlated with religion sure but there are plenty of nonreligious conservatives
I mean Australia is really secular and we still have conservatives everywhere
ALSO when I hear ‘libertarian’ nowadays my brain just immediately parses it as ‘dumbass’ like how you automatically correct some typos when you read them like you see ‘gonig’ you think “oh they meant ‘going’ obviously” same with libertarian -> dumbass
also reblogging quotes is so bad
ahaha also I was just telling Milsom this morning that I don’t like to start or perpetuate shit on tumblr but here I am haw haw haw
Meh. I think it’s an interesting quote. I don’t necessarily agree with it.
Something I don’t necessarily like is this idea that you’re only “left” or “right”. More often than not, I find myself *neither*. I find myself stuck between choosing between the lesser of two evils and that’s not the choice I want to have. So what do I do? Do I not choose? But inevitably, when one or the other comes into “power”, then is my ability to not act make this as much my fault as someone who had decided one way or the other?
I think people are taking these two ideas and stereotyping them—actually, the groups do a good job of stereotyping themselves really well, but people do it further. It’s that idea that all liberals are super tolerant and amazing and all conservatives are taking the constitution and bending it to have their controlling regime take over, whilst on the other end you have the amazing conservatives and the liberals who are ignoring the constitution completely and throwing us into anarchy and getting rid of structure and—
and I think, too, that “power” has become the central goal of being “liberal” or “conservative”, that both sides forget they are not there to wrest control from each other. Instead of working together, they spend every minute of everyday trying to be the leader and on top and if that means totally denying one groups good idea because it is that groups good idea; I think the moments when both sides work together, that is when you see brilliant ideas come through, life changing events and amendments and ideas. But that doesn’t happen, at least not so often that I see it or read about it.
Now as for Libertarianism, what little I know about them (I say little because I know the general concept of libertarianism, but I do not know how the party sways as of this moment), I feel like they’re trying to be like those parents that are all “no go ahead, do whatever you want as long as you do it in my house—drink all those beers, smoke weed, it’s cool cause you’re under my roof”, like they’re trying too hard to be the cool mom, like they still haven’t realised that they are free to do what they want but they still don’t know how to do that.
Little to no goverment control is a horrible idea for a lot of reasons; the same goes for complete and total government control.
I just, I dunno. This reminds me of when I was younger and my teachers would ask me to “pick which one was better” and to me /both/ were useful. I dunno.
It’s not because she is anti-Islam, Islam-hating to the point of rude and ridiculous. It’s not because she is racist towards everyone who does not fulfill her ideals. It’s not because she fills her topics with hate filled trigger words that draw ignorant people in and leave bitter people trying to grasp at straws and defend themselves against so much blatant hatred.
It’s because Debbie Schlussel is an anti-feminist.
Debbie Schlussel does not believe a young girl should grow into an independent woman. Debbie Schlussel believes the idea of “waiting passively for your prince to come” is what is best for young girls and any other message that says otherwise requires deprogramming because a woman should be entirely dependent on a man to save her.
The article in question was a review of ‘Mirror, Mirror’, a movie that just came out really recently. It is a movie I haven’t scene but I can tell you right at this moment that I’ve never read the words of a woman who is working hard to put women and the human race back fifteen hundred billion years. And I quote directly from her website
Toward the end, Snow White locks the prince up, telling him that she grew up in the castle “reading so many stories where the prince rescues the princess. And I think it’s time to change that story.” Gloria Steinem and Betty Friedan would be proud. Yuck.
I understand when someone does not label themselves a femenist. It can be a very hard title to understand, especially with the negative backlash against it. But to be so vehemently against your own gender that you’d willingly tell your own daughter to sit back and wait for a man to take care of things, instead of take care of herself is disgusting.
There is more, of course. There is the fact that she is a self-claimed “Muslim/Radical Islam expert”, but the fact is that she does not and will never understand what Islam is if it danced naked in front of her. Her “fanbase” is full of similar people—xenophobic, racist, pretending to have read the ‘koran’ (it’s spelled Qu’ran, mind you?) just so they can call themselves experts. In reality, much like other sort of extremists, they gather all of their information from false websites, like Debbie Schlussel’s and spread their message of hatred so that it seeps deeply into the hearts of those around them, spreading an emotional disease through out the community.
I don’t understand how one person can be so against humanity as a whole. Does she get tired of writing about hatred all the time? I get tired reading her hatred. To me this has nothing to do with religion, even though it is clear that religion is of the utmost importance to her. This is the pure hatred she loves to spread.
Good. Now go move there.
But I would lay down my LIFE to defend Israel. And when I say LIFE I mean that literally. America needs to be more like Israel. We are way too politically correct when it comes to dealing with the Muslim/Arab/Iranian threat against us. We need to make our enemy known.
If Israel falls, western civilization is finished. We must defend Israel to the end, even if it means the destruction of our own country. Yes, it is THAT important.
But… but Muslims aren’t the enemy? I’m Arabic, I’ve lived in the US my entire life (I was born and raised here!) and… and.. what? WHAT? I know the /American/ National Anthem, I used to say the Pledge of Allegiance every day in Elementary school, I freaking VOTED.
What? Sir, I do not believe you understand how incredibly stupid you sound right now.
The fact of the matter is that the United States needs to be it’s OWN distinct country, not the carbon copy of a country whose entire point is apartheid of a people who are becoming more and more extinct, because the land is a “divine right”.
I just.. I am so disgusted right now.
Bad Romance: Women’s Suffrage
What is essentially the greatest thing you will watch today.